The Cooke Tavern is a grand 2-story Georgian-style brick property built in 1808 by James Cooke, esq. This Tavern was in operation from 1808 until 1863. Above all, tavern-keepers were expected to provide their patrons with a tempting bill of fare daily — a choice of chowders & soups, fresh meats & fish, and fresh vegetables. Each meal was served along with a bottle of wine, a bowl of punch, or a tankard of ale. Cooke Tavern is now a Bed & Breakfast serving travelers once again.
When Greg and Mary Kay purchased the property in 1991 they lived the ‘real money pit saga’. They did a complete restoration of the house, outbuildings and property. It didn’t even have heating or plumbing…complete only with a two seater outhouse! They named the property after the original property owner, James Cooke from Lancaster PA. In 1995, they won the ‘Excellence in Historic Restoration Award’ from the Centre County Historical Society.
In keeping with Colonial tradition, Cooke Tavern Soups captures the hearth-cooked flavor in all of our soups. Designed for busy people who want to serve a great pot of homemade soup without the fuss of starting from scratch.
Let's Talk Soup