Mi Madre Maria’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling! It has a zesty blend of freeze dried corn and quick cook black beans to make up a Mexican favorite that will make you say ‘Ole’! Add a can of crushed tomatoes (with chilies or jalapeños if you dare) along with some chicken for a special treat. Serve with corn bread and tacos to make a great Mexican meal. How about a Margarita too?
Makes 2 Quarts: 8 servings
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Contains: freeze-dried corn, black beans, onion, garlic, green chiles, herbs and spices
Allergen Info: Gluten-free ingredients. This product is produced on equipment that also handles peanuts, soy, tree nuts, eggs, and wheat.
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 large boneless chicken breast or 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes (use jalapeño or fire-roasted style for a kick)
- 1 cup water
- Bring chicken broth, soup mix, chicken breast (if using raw), and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken breast, shred, and return to soup pot (if using cooked chicken, add now). Add diced tomatoes and simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with crumbled tortilla chips & shredded cheddar cheese to serve. Add a spoonful of salsa or some hot sauce for extra heat.
Mi Madre’s Chicken Tortilla Soup makes a great topping for nachos. Simply simmer until thickened and serve over your favorite tortilla chips topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and guacamole!
- Add fat free or low fat chicken broth
- Top with low fat shredded cheese
- Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Substitute cubed tofu in place of chicken
- Add an extra cup of cubed chicken
- Add fresh salsa
Crock Pot Instructions
- Cooks in about 30 minutes. No crock pot needed!