Pioneer Split Pea Soup
Pioneer Split Pea has the old-fashioned flavor with the modern day ease of preparation. The right combination of fresh dried peas and spices makes this traditional favorite come alive. Add a piece of ham or sausage, and potatoes to create just the right flavor. If you have never tried Pioneer Split Pea, you don’t know what you are missing!
Makes 2 Quarts: 6-8 servings
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Contains: Peas, dried vegetables, herbs & spices
Allergen Info:Gluten-free ingredients. This product is produced on equipment that also handles peanuts, soy, tree nuts, eggs, and wheat.
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 lb. ham (cubed)
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced (or 2 cups southern style frozen hash brown potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- optional croutons and fresh-chopped parsley or mint (to garnish)
- Rinse peas and add to water with ham, seasoning packet, and potatoes. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer 1 – 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in blender or mash potatoes in pot to thicken.
Pioneer Split Pea Soup pairs well with hard rolls or garlic bread. Garnish with croutons and fresh chopped parsley or mint for a complete dish!
- Use turkey ham or smoked turkey leg rather than regular ham
Rinse peas; place in large soup pot and add the following: Seasoning packet, 2 1/2 qts. water, 1/2 Tsp. dry mustard, three stalks celery diced, two carrots peeled and sliced, one medium potato diced, one clove garlic chopped, 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar, freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Puree the soup in food processor, or simply mash vegetables against the pan to thicken.
- Add one pound cubed ham, sausage or kielbasa
- Use a ham hock rather than the cubed ham suggested
Crock Pot Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and heat on high until boiling. Reduce to low and cook until peas are soft.